Congratulations on your interest in Rover Team! Rover is an extremely powerful and formative experience that will take you extreme lengths towards your goals at OSU. It provides an intense experiential learning opportunity – we’re doing this challenge because we want to, not because a professor is telling us to. The motivation is all student-driven, and we reap great rewards from it. Rover alumni are extremely successful, ranging from careers at SpaceX to founding Robotics companies that get purchased by Google. If you succeed throughout the year, it’s a great indicator of your prowess as an engineer.
That said, it’s not a walk in the park. We’re here to help you, but we’re not going to hold your hand. Prepare to spend you Saturdays working for Rover team: there are many long days and nights involved. There’s a field test that will occur during spring break, and the final competition takes place during a week in August. You will make sacrifices, but I can promise you they will be worth it if you stick with it.
If you have any questions, please direct them to me (firstname.lastname@example.org).
– Ben Davidson
Mars Rover Team Lead
Requirements to Join
- Be a member of the OSU Community
- This usually means being an OSU Student. We welcome students of all disciplines!
- Be a member of the OSU Robotics Club
- This one is easy, just follow the instructions on our join page. We will check membership every week, after a few weeks into the first term, so make sure you get this done.
- Be willing to dedicate your Saturdays to Rover Team.
- We meet every week to discuss progress as a team, and then break off into projects for further discussion, as well as work parties. This isn’t just an update meeting, we work together as a group during these meetings. Rover meets at 12pm every Saturday throughout the term. The location for the next meeting can be found at https://www.osurobotics.club/rover.
- Take advantage of other Rover team members’ knowledge! Come to our meetings and ask questions! We’re here to help you through this process.